As Python is one of the most popular high-level programming languages, it’s of utmost importance to know how to run a python script. A python script is nothing but a code written in python & structured into a file. The file contains an extension ‘
.py’ or ‘
.pyw’ if it’s for windows.
Also Read: How to take User Input in Python
Let’s start by downloading & installing a python interpreter to run a python script.
Here is a basic python script to print ‘
From the above example, we can see a ‘
print()’ function is used to print a written text within the parenthesis. The text can be written within a single quote or a double quote if the text contains a paragraph.
If you are no beginner & belong to other programming languages fundamentals, you may have noticed that there’s no semicolon is used at the end of a statement in python. Also, no need for any exclusive file inclusion to run a basic python script, unlike the C language.
Assuming you’ve installed the python interpreter, let’s check if the interpreter is working properly or not by opening the command prompt on your desktop & typing the following command.
Typing this command will give us the python interpreter version installed on your desktop.
Let’s Explore the Four Optional Ways to Run a Python Script.
- Interactive Mode
- Command Line
- Text Editor (VS Code)
- IDE (PyCharm)
Here, you can run your python script line by line in a linear sequence. Interactive mode can be activated by opening the command prompt on your desktop & typing ‘
python‘ & hitting
name = "Arjun" print("Hello, my name is " + name)
Hello, my name is Arjun
python‘ code is written before the file name in command prompt to run a Python script in a ‘.
py‘ file in a command-line prompt. In the following code, you can write your own filename instead of ‘
Text Editor (VS Code)
Following steps should be followed in order to run the Python script on a Text Editor such as a Visual Studio Code.
- Press ‘Ctrl+Shift+X’ on your keyboard after locating the extension section on your VS.
- Search & Install the extension name ‘python’ & ‘code runner’ in the searc bar of your VS (Visual Studio)
- Restart the VS code
- Create a new file with the proper extension ‘hello.py’ & you can write the below code in the prompt.
- Now, right click in open space & select the option ‘Run Code’ to run the program.
The following steps can be accounted to run a Python script on an Integrated Development Environment such as (PyCharm)
- Create a new project.
- Name the project as ‘TechsTricks‘ & click on Create.
- Select to open the root directory with the project name associated with the last step & open it.
- Navigate to New & select the ‘Python.file‘ option. Now, Rename the file as ‘hello’ (you can change the name as per your convinience.)
py‘ extention will be assigned automatically after allocating the file name.
- You can now write the following programme.
You can run this python script by right-clicking on the open area & selecting the option ‘Run File in Python Console‘ Or, simply pressing the green play button on the top right of your desktop.
Learn New Programming Concepts with TechsTricks each week.